Army Chief-of-Staff and Coordinator of Air Force, Navy and Army Operations
Shwe Mann, 60, is the third-highest-ranking figure in the SPDC, and considered more likely to inherit the presidency. A career soldier who was promoted to the rank of general in 2003. He fought with distinction against the Karen Liberation Army in 1989. Loyal to Than Shwe, it was this opportunistic military man, nicknamed 'Thura', who was believed to have flown to Singapore to receive instructions from his hospitalised leader.
Known for a more modern outlook, he has taken a lead in economic affairs, with attempts to develop gem businesses and rice mills, allegedly to the financial advantage of his son's company.
Despite his very public presence, little is known about Shwe Mann.
There are no records of his views about Suu Kyi, and no knowledge of his role in the suppression of the 1988 pro-democracy protests.
He has been involved in ethnic cleansing, which has destroyed 3,000 villages.
Background: Was accused of ethnic cleansing in Karen state. Considered the most likely successor to Than Shwe.
Lifestyle: Has a mansion retreat in rolling parklands, with a lake and beach.
These Generals continue to suppress, imprison and kill many millions of their own people.
This enables them to consolidate their power, allowing them to accumulate and secure their personal wealth.
FREEDOM and JUSTICE for Burma is crucial therefore, YOUR COMMENTS to complete the information is highly appreciated.
- ခင္ေမာင္သန္းမိသားစု Khin Maung Than and family (2)
- စိုးဝင္းမိသားစု Soe Win and Family (2)
- တင္ေအးမိသားစု Tin Aye and Family (3)
- တင္ေအာင္ျမင္ဦးမိသားစုTin Aung Myint Oo and Family (2)
- ရဲျမင့္မိသားစု Ye Myint and Family (5)
- သန္းေရြွမိသားစုThan Shwe and Family (14)
- သိန္းစိန္မိသားစု Thein Sein and Family (2)
- ေက်ာ္ဝင္းမိသားစု Kyaw Win and Family (7)
- ေမာင္ဘို မိသားစု Maung Bo and Family (3)
- ေမာင္ေအး မိသားစု Maung Aye and Family (4)
- ေရြွမန္းမိသားစု Shwe Mann and Family (6)
- ေအာင္ေထြးမိသားစု Aung Htwe and Family (2)
Monday, May 26, 2008